Freshman guard leaves men’s basketball program

File Photo by Zach Brien | Photographer
Freshman guard Shawn Walker Jr. goes up for three in the Colonials’ 85–69 win over Saint Joseph’s.

Freshman guard Shawn Walker Jr. entered the men’s basketball transfer portal April 6, according to a tweet from recruiting website Verbal Commits.

Walker Jr. played one season for the Colonials, starting in six games and playing in 21 matchups as a secondary ball handler. He averaged 3.4 points, 1.6 assists and 1.7 rebounds in 16.5 minutes per game.

He ranked third on the team in assists, dishing out 34 helpers. Walker Jr. was part of a freshman class that led the charge for the Colonials (12-21, 6-13 A-10) throughout the season.

Walker Jr. verbally committed to Siena to play for head coach Jamion Christian, but he later committed to the Colonials when Christian took the helm.

He is the fourth player to transfer this season. Junior guard Justin Mazzulla left the program for Vermont five games into the season. Senior forward Arnaldo Toro and sophomore forward Mezie Offurum transferred after the conclusion of the season, landing at St. John’s and Mount St. Mary’s, respectively.

Christian has added three transfers in the offseason, including Vanderbilt graduate student forward Matthew Moyer, LSU freshman guard James Bishop and Maryland sophomore forward Ricky Lindo Jr. The Colonials are set to return 10 players for the 2020-21 season.