Pair of forwards to transfer from men’s basketball program

Updated: March 19, 2020 at 12:20 p.m.

Senior forward Arnaldo Toro and sophomore forward Mezie Offurum will transfer out of the men’s basketball program, according to a tweet from basketball analyst Jeff Goodman Sunday and 247 Sports’ transfer portal Friday, respectively.

With two transfers and four graduates, the Colonials are set to return 10 players for the 2020-21 season. The transfers follow the squad’s final matchup of the season against Fordham Wednesday when they fell to the Rams by 20 points.

Toro played in seven of 33 games during his junior season, missing significant time with a hip injury. This season, he returned to the hardwood but sat out eight games throughout the year with an injury. He finished the season averaging a team-high seven rebounds per game.

Toro tacked on 6.5 points per game, firing at a .476 clip from the floor in 18.5 average minutes per game. In a Nov. 12 matchup with American, Toro ripped 24 boards, tying former Colonial Yinka Dare for the all-time Atlantic 10 record for rebounds in a single game.

Offurum played in 19 games this season, logging 9.9 minutes per game. He averaged 2.9 points and 1.3 rebounds. He did not see action for a two-game stretch for a violation of team rules. He made his return to the hardwood five games later against Duquesne.

Toro and Offurum are the second and third players to leave the team this season. Junior guard Justin Mazzulla transferred from the program after five games, landing at Vermont.

This post was updated to correct the following:
A previous version of the story stated that Offurum missed seven games for a violation of team rules. He missed two games during that span.