Junior guard to transfer from program five games into the season

Junior+guard+Justin+Mazzulla+is+headed+out+after+playing+in+four+games+out+of+five+this+season.+
File Photo by Zach Brien | Photographer
Junior guard Justin Mazzulla is headed out after playing in four games out of five this season.

Junior guard Justin Mazzulla is no longer with the men’s basketball program, head coach Jamion Christian confirmed Saturday.

He was the only Colonial to start all 33 games last year, serving as a team captain and averaging 8.9 points and 33.4 minutes on the floor. This season, Mazzulla saw action in four games, averaging five points and shooting at a .600 clip from the field and a .500 clip from deep.

Mazzulla did not respond to a request for comment.

He did not accompany the team on its trip to the Bahamas for the Islands of the Bahamas Invitational. Christian said he entered the transfer portal earlier in the week.

“We really love him,” Christian said. “He’s been a great player for our program the last few years. So we wish him the best wherever he lands. He’ll be a great player for them.”

His minutes decreased over the course of the season. He earned a spot in the starting rotation against Towson and played a season-high 31 minutes. He played 14 minutes against Howard and American before seeing just five minutes on the court against Morgan State.

He took a season-high 10 points against American, going four-for-four from the field and two-for-two from the three-point line.

Mazzulla also served on the Student Athlete Advisory Committee as a general body member and was a member of the Leadership Academy.