Former Syracuse, Vanderbilt player to join men’s basketball squad

Matthew Moyer, a 6-foot-8-inch forward from Gahanna, Ohio, will transfer into the men’s basketball program next season, according to a tweet Wednesday.

Moyer spent two seasons at Syracuse and two seasons at Vanderbilt before coming to Foggy Bottom as a graduate transfer. He said in the tweet that head coach Jamion Christian’s success with coaching players in limited amounts of time drew him to GW.

“Throughout the process, what stood out to me the most was how much Coach Christian believed in me and his track record of developing players in one year’s time,” Moyers said in the tweet.

He added that he will work toward a master’s degree from the School of Business.

After redshirting his freshman season at Syracuse, Moyer averaged 3.2 points and 3.4 rebounds in 16.8 average minutes on the floor in his second year with the Orange. He started the first 20 games of the 2017-18 season but appeared off the bench for the remainder of the year.

He transferred to Vanderbilt the next season and was deemed eligible to play immediately.

Moyer spent his redshirt sophomore and redshirt junior seasons at Vanderbuilt, appearing in 55 games and averaging 13.2 minutes in that span. Last season, he averaged two points, 2.2 rebounds and 12.2 minutes on the court, but his year was truncated by a shoulder injury.

He will be immediately eligible to play for the 2020-21 season.

In his tweet, Moyers said changing schools and a lack of consistency in his career has been a challenge, but he is prepared for a new start at GW.

“The past four years has been filled with lots of ups and downs,” Moyers said in a tweet. “I am blessed to have garnered a wealth of basketball knowledge from Coach Boehim, Coach Drew and Coach Stackhouse. Playing for three different coaches in three years hasn’t been an easy challenge but has prepared me for my final chapter.”

In the program’s first year under Christian, the Colonials exited the Atlantic 10 Tournament in their first game. Senior forward Arnaldo Toro and sophomore forward Mezie Offurum announced their intention to transfer out of the program after the season concluded. Eleven players will return to play from this season’s roster.