Young roster leads men’s basketball after injuries take out veteran players

File Photo by Zach Brien | Photographer
Freshman guard Shawn Walker Jr. goes up for three in the Colonials’ 85–69 win over Saint Joseph’s.

After injuries sidelined three upperclassmen, men’s basketball has looked to three freshmen to lead the squad in conference play.

Junior forward Javier Langarica, senior guard Justin Williams and senior forward Arnaldo Toro have missed significant time this season, leaving the Colonials (9-11, 3-4 A-10) to adapt to their absences. The team has swapped in three freshmen – forward Chase Paar, forward Jamison Battle and guard Jameer Nelson Jr. – to start in all seven Atlantic 10 contests so far.

“All the guys, in general, want to do a great job of just appreciating the work within our development, staying ready for the opportunity,” head coach Jamion Christian said after the game against Saint Joseph’s. “They’re just growing every day with that and getting ready to attack their opportunity.”

Toro has been in and out of the lineup since the beginning of the season. He was absent from the court for a four-game stretch from Nov. 22 to Dec. 1. He also missed three games in A-10 play against George Mason, Massachusetts and Saint Joseph’s.

Langarica hasn’t seen action since Dec. 21 against Harvard. With his hand in a cast, he is expected to “miss significant time with a hand injury,” according to the men’s basketball roster. The big man logged 14.3 minutes per game and sealed GW’s win over Boston University with a buzzer-beating put-back.

Williams, who served as a role player for the Colonials, sustained a concussion last month. He played two minutes against Harvard and Vermont, respectively, before he was relegated to the bench with the injury.

A young wave of players has emerged as the team’s core. In A-10 play, Paar, Battle and Nelson Jr. have contributed 45.7 percent of the team’s total offense in conference play.

Freshman guard Shawn Walker Jr. also emerged as a key piece in the Colonials’ lineup, Christian said. In his six minutes of play against Saint Joseph’s Saturday, he dished out five assists.

“He’s been the best passer all year long and so we’re just trying to find the time to get him on the floor,” Christian said. “Him playing really confidently is really important for us. So you’ll see a lot more of him.”

Standing in at 6-foot-6, Christian said Walker Jr. gives the squad another option at the point aside from redshirt senior guard Armel Potter, who has stepped into the main floor general role this season.

“Shawn gives us a bigger point guard who can kind of see over the top of the defense, who can really get the ball to these shooters,” Christian said. “We’re really just trying to embrace what we have in that locker room.”

Potter, who logged nine minutes in his first two games of the season, has become a staple in the Colonials’ lineup, averaging 31.2 minutes, 5.5 assists and 15 points per game. Christian said Potter was a “dynamic scorer” who could finish at the rim and facilitate scoring for his teammates.

Christian said the older players on the squad, like senior forward Luke Sasser, junior forward Ace Stallings and senior guard Adam Mitola, have fostered development in the younger players behind the scenes in practice.

“Those guys do an unbelievable job and the stuff that you don’t get to see, just spending time with them every single day,” Christian said. “And I think you don’t have the growth from your younger players unless the upperclassmen are creating an environment where those guys can get better.”

He added that Paar has benefited from the guidance of Stallings and Sasser, who have spent time with the big man in practice.

Battle said the upperclassmen have served as experienced mentors and support systems for the young group. He added that the connections built between the two have allowed the freshmen to learn how to take on the college-level competition.

“Everyone tells us that they support us,” Battle said. “They tell us what we need to do and how we can get better. And I think if you have that on a team, that’s just going to help you.”

Battle and Nelson Jr. pointed to junior guard Maceo Jack as a mentor for the younger members of the team, offering encouragement and advice. Jack has earned a starting role in all seven A-10 games and has stayed on the court for a full 40 minutes six times this season.

Nelson Jr. said Jack was like an “older brother” who helps him stay calm when he feels frustrated. He added that the relationships between younger and older players have allowed the team to hit its stride in A-10 play.

“We’re starting to rise and as a team, so it instills some confidence and some momentum into our play,” Nelson said. “We haven’t had that at GW in a long time and I think everybody is really excited.”

The Colonials are back in action Wednesday to take on Davidson. Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m.