Siena head coach to take helm of men’s basketball

Siena men’s basketball head coach Jamion Christian has been tabbed as the new men’s basketball head coach at GW, according to an athletic department release Thursday.

Christian comes to GW after spending one season at Siena, where he led the Saints to a 17-16 record overall and an 11–7 showing in Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference play, tying the team for second place in the league overall.

“His passion for teaching and his endless energy to get the absolute best out of each individual in his program is infectious,” athletic director Tanya Vogel said in the release. “I am confident in Coach Christian’s ability to build a sustainable program that is in the national conversation again soon.”

Christian did not immediately return a request for comment.

Prior to his season-long stint at Siena, Christian led Mount St. Mary’s for six season as head coach starting in the 2012-13 season. The Mount won the Northeast Conference Tournament Championship in 2014 and 2017 and made two appearances in the NCAA Tournament under Christian.

Christian was an assistant coach at VCU for one season before taking the head coaching job at Mount St. Mary’s. Prior to his time at Mount St. Mary’s, Christian was an assistant coach at William and Mary from 2008-11, the director of basketball operations at Bucknell from 2006-08 and an assistant coach at Emory and Henry College from 2004-06.

Christian, a 2004 alum of Mount St. Mary’s, spent three seasons as a team captain for the men’s basketball team.

His hiring comes less than one week after former head coach Maurice Joseph was let go from the head coach position three years into his five-year contract.