Men’s basketball welcomes transfer guard

Updated: Sept. 15, 2020 at 2:50 p.m.

James Bishop, a 6-foot-2-inch guard from Baltimore, Maryland, will join the men’s basketball program as a sophomore transfer, according to a tweet from ESPN college basketball insider Jeff Borzello.

Bishop played his freshman season at LSU in the Southeastern Conference, where he averaged 3.1 points and 0.3 rebounds in 8.6 minutes per game. He made 14 appearances on the court throughout the season.

At Mount Saint Joseph’s High School, Bishop bumped his scoring from 18 points per game in 2018 to 23.3 points per game in 2019 as the only returning starter, according to the Baltimore Sun. He helped his team win back-to-back Baltimore Catholic league championships in 2016 and 2017. He tallied more than 2,100 career points in high school.

He was also named to First-team All-Metro by the Baltimore Sun twice and nabbed Baltimore Catholic Player of the Year in 2019.

He is the second transfer to join the program after graduate student forward Matthew Moyer transferred from Vanderbilt in March.

The Colonials (12-21, 6-13 A-10) will be without senior forward Arnaldo Toro and sophomore forward Mezie Offurum, who transferred out of the program after the season concluded. Toro will suit up for St. John’s as a graduate transfer for the 2020-21 season, according to a tweet.

The squad is set to return 11 players next year.

This post was updated to correct the following.
The Hatchet previously reported that James Bishop is a graduate transfer. He is a sophomore transfer. We regret this error.