Men’s basketball tabs second graduate student transfer

Brandon Leftwich, a 6-foot-3-inch guard from Brooklyn, New York, committed to the men’s basketball program, according to an Instagram post Tuesday.

Leftwich comes to Foggy Bottom from Mount Saint Mary’s, where he played three seasons after walking on to the team in 2017. In his senior season with the Mount, Leftwich averaged three points and 2.2 rebounds in 10.9 minutes per game.

“[I’m] excited to continue my athletic career and receive my masters from The George Washington University,” Leftwich said in the post.

He joined Mount Saint Mary’s as a walk-on during his sophomore year, playing in 10 games and averaging 1.2 minutes on the hardwood. He earned a scholarship at the conclusion of the season. Leftwich played under head coach Jamion Christian for the 2017-18 season before Christian departed for Siena.

During his junior season, Leftwich played in eight games, averaging 1.9 minutes per game. He netted an average of .4 and .5 points per game in his first and second seasons, respectively. But as his minutes increased in his senior season, so did his scoring production, rebounding, steals and assists.

He is the fourth transfer and second graduate student transfer to join men’s basketball this season. Vanderbilt senior forward Matthew Moyer, Maryland sophomore guard Ricky Lindo Jr. and LSU freshman guard James Bishop all announced their commitment to the squad.

Men’s basketball will be without freshman guard Shawn Walker Jr., sophomore Mezie Offurum and senior forward Arnaldo Toro, who entered the transfer portal. The team will keep 10 members of last year’s roster.