First student tests positive for COVID-19

Ari Golub | Staff Photographer
GW tied at No. 67 with five other universities in the national ranking.

Officials confirmed the first student tested positive for the novel coronavirus.

The student lives off campus, has self-isolated since being diagnosed and is “doing well,” according to an email sent to the GW community Wednesday. Officials are working with DC Health to identify individuals on campus who have been in contact with the student, and those who believe they or someone they know has been exposed to COVID-19 are encouraged to fill out a confidential online form, the email states.

“This latest development may create additional stress and uncertainty among our community,” the email states. “Please know that our team of health and safety experts is closely monitoring the rapidly changing course of COVID-19. We will continue to provide additional information, support and resources to protect the health, safety and well-being of our community during this extraordinary situation.”

Officials will reach out to any member of the GW community identified by DC Health to offer “additional assistance,” according to the email. Officials did not name the student who contracted the virus, according to the email.

“If you are not notified by DC Health, you have not been identified to be at risk of developing symptoms as it relates to this particular case,” the email states.

Health care providers in GW’s medical enterprise, which includes the GW Hospital and the Medical Faculty Associates, have also tested positive for the virus.

The University has moved classes online for the rest of the semester, canceled in-person Commencement ceremonies and closed all residence halls in the wake of the pandemic. D.C. has been under a public health emergency and state of emergency since last week.