GW to centralize wireless networks this summer
By Hannah Marr, Assistant News Editor • April 25, 2024
GW to renovate Pelham Commons this summer
By Barry Yao, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024

Administrators close residence halls for remainder of semester

Over+the+past+nine+years%2C+Shenkman+Hall+has+recorded+11+fires%2C+the+highest+number+of+any+residence+hall.+
Over the past nine years, Shenkman Hall has recorded 11 fires, the highest number of any residence hall.

Officials are urging students to leave campus as soon as possible, according to an email sent to students with exemptions to stay in University housing Tuesday.

Assistant Dean of Students Seth Weinshel and Assistant Dean of Residential Engagement Stewart Robinette said in the email that residence halls will be closed for the remainder of the semester to mitigate the spread of COVID-19. Students in residence halls over spring break must leave campus by 5 p.m. Friday, March 20, and students approved for housing for the two weeks following should make plans to vacate residence halls by April 5, the email states.

“We recognize this news is coming at a heightened time of stress and worry and we do make these decisions cavalierly,” the email states. “Every decision is based on providing for the health, safety and well-being of our community in an unprecedented and rapidly evolving situation.”

Students approved for on-campus housing through April 5 will receive a separate email asking for their anticipated move-out date. The follow-up email will contain additional information for students with “extraordinary circumstances” that may prevent them from leaving campus by April 5, according to Weinshel and Robinette.

University President Thomas LeBlanc announced in an email to the GW community yesterday that students will be able to retrieve their belongings from residence halls “sometime after April 5.”

Officials previously announced plans to close residence halls on March 20 to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Students found in a vacant residence hall room will be fined up to $2,500 for non-compliance and receive disciplinary probation.

“Thousands” of students applied to remain on campus during spring break and the initial two-week instructional continuity period, prompting officials to push the application deadline to March 16.