University shuts off open access to residence halls over spring break

Students who are staying for spring break but have not been approved to stay on campus until April 5 are required to leave campus by March 20 at 5 p.m.

Tap access to residence halls was turned off Saturday at 1 a.m., according to an email officials sent shortly before 10 a.m.

Students must check in on the Campus Living e-services website to receive GWorld access to residence halls during spring break, according to the email sent by the Campus Living and Residential Education team. Check-in opened at 10 a.m. Saturday, and students will regain access to their residence halls 30 minutes after checking in, the email states.

“We have been telling you that your health, your safety and your well-being are our number one priority,” the email states. “That remains our chief objective in the face of impending disruption by this public health emergency. We urgently need your assistance to help us prioritize you, your health and safety during this time.”

The email states that students were told tap access would turn off in residence halls in an email Friday. Officials said in the Friday notice that residents could “access their assigned building only,” but it appears that access to all buildings, including students’ assigned residence halls, were turned off Saturday.

Notices will be posted on room doors to specify whether a room is vacant or occupied, according to the email.

Students who are staying for spring break but have not been approved to stay on campus until April 5 are required to leave campus by March 20 at 5 p.m., the email states. Staff will conduct “unannounced” room occupancy checks to verify if students are attempting to stay in rooms that have been marked vacant starting that night, according to the email.

Students found in a vacant residence hall room will be asked to leave, charged a fine of up to $2,500 for non-compliance and receive disciplinary probation from the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities, the email states.