Bowser declares state of emergency as D.C. officials identify six new COVID-19 cases

File Photo by Dean Whitelaw
Mayor Muriel Bowser declared a state of emergency in D.C. Wednesday, enabling her to order mandatory medical quarantines and ban price gouging on medical supplies.

Mayor Muriel Bowser has declared both a state of emergency and a public health emergency in the District Wednesday as the number of COVID-19 cases in the D.C. area continue to rise.

The declaration, which enables Bowser to order mandatory medical quarantines and to ban price gouging, comes as officials have identified six new COVID-19 cases in the District, The Washington Post reported Wednesday. Earlier the same day, Bowser encouraged the cancellation of “mass gatherings” throughout the month and expanded self-quarantine for attendees at a Georgetown church linked to three COVID-19 cases in D.C., according to The Post.

District officials pulled permits for two events, the Scope It Out 5K and the Rock and Roll D.C. Marathon, Half Marathon and 5K, the mayor’s office announced Wednesday.

D.C. officials have also leased a private facility to quarantine people but have declined to release the facility’s location, PBS NewsHour reported the same day.

Several universities in the D.C. area, including GW, Georgetown and American universities and the University of Maryland, College Park have announced they will move classes online following their spring breaks. D.C. Public Schools will be closed Monday to plan for potential long-term closures, The Post reported.