GW health care providers test positive for COVID-19

Eric Lee | Staff Photographer
Patients and staff who may have come into contact with infected providers have been notified of the news. 

Health care providers in GW’s medical enterprise tested positive for the novel coronavirus, according to an email from the School of Medicine and Health Sciences and the Medical Faculty Associates Sunday.

The individuals affected by the virus are self-isolating and “doing well,” according to the email. The email did not specify how many providers tested positive for the virus or whether the providers were affiliated with the medical school, the MFA or the GW Hospital.

“We at the GW School of Medicine and Health Sciences, the GW Medical Faculty Associates and the GW Hospital, are working in lock-step to minimize the risk of exposure and spread of this virus to our patients and providers,” the email states.

Medical school Dean Barbara Lee Bass said health care providers will launch telehealth options and reschedule elective procedures and medical visits to reduce the spread of the virus. She said patients and staff who may have come into contact with infected providers have been notified of the news.

“We have followed the appropriate protocols of testing, self-isolation, and have contacted those who may have been exposed to them including patients and staff,” Bass said in the email.

Kimberly Russo, the CEO and managing director of the GW Hospital, said officials are restricting visitation to the hospital, postponing elective surgeries and increasing COVID-19 testing capabilities to limit the virus’ spread.

Officials said at a Faculty Senate meeting Friday that the GW Hospital and MFA also set up tents outside their facilities for people to test for COVID-19.

“Our goal is to continue to provide the highest quality care to our patients at our clinics and within our hospital but also to protect our caregivers,” Russo said in the email.