GW Hospital suspends elective surgeries to accommodate COVID-19 patients

Seven+malpractice+cases+were+filed+in+2009+compared+to+five+last+year%2C+according+to+court+records.+
File Photo by Lillian Bautista | Senior Photo Editor
Seven malpractice cases were filed in 2009 compared to five last year, according to court records.

The GW Hospital is suspending elective surgeries in an effort to allocate more resources for patients experiencing symptoms associated with the novel coronavirus.

Christine Seawright, the director of strategic marketing, communications and business development for the GW Hospital, told The Washington Post that all elective surgeries scheduled from Monday to Friday have been canceled. All “nonessential” appointments will be rescheduled, she said.

“Any urgent cases, those in which delay would potentially be harmful to the patient, will not be rescheduled during this period and will go on as planned,” Searight told The Post. “Emergency surgical and critical care will continue.”

Officials said at a Faculty Senate meeting Friday that the hospital and Medical Faculty Associates are setting up tents outside their facilities to handle patients exhibiting symptoms consistent with COVID-19. The GW community should report symptoms to Colonial Health Center and hospital staff to curb the spread of the virus, they said.