Men’s basketball to play first game in 35 days Sunday

File Photo by Eric Lee
The men’s basketball team will miss two additional games after head coach Jamion Christian tested positive for COVID-19.

After a five-week hiatus from competition, men’s basketball will return to the court Sunday to take on Rhode Island, according to a release and tweet Tuesday.

The Colonials (3-9, 2-3 A-10) have not played a game since Jan. 17 after head coach Jamion Christian tested positive for COVID-19 and the team went into quarantine Jan. 19. The squad has had to postpone eight straight Atlantic 10 games as a result of the pause, and the team has delayed 10 total conference games this season.

The squad slotted in a game against Rhode Island to replace a home matchup against St. Bonaventure that will no longer be played, the release states.

The squad’s first postponed game – a Jan. 6 home contest against Massachusetts – was put off after Mayor Muriel Bowser instated a District-wide curfew following an insurrection at the Capitol.

GW’s next game – a Jan. 9 road trip to St. Bonaventure – was delayed after a staff member in the Colonials’ traveling party tested positive for the virus. But after conducting additional testing and contact tracing, the team returned the practice the next night.

As a result of the team’s current COVID-19 protocol, the Colonials postponed games at Dayton Jan. 20, Rhode Island Jan. 24, George Mason Jan. 27, Fordham Jan. 30, Saint Louis Feb. 6, Richmond Feb. 9 and La Salle Feb. 13.

Most recently, GW’s matchup with Saint Joseph’s, slated for Wednesday, was postponed as both teams continued their return to play protocol, a release states. The Hawks also experienced virus-related issues too, postponing four games in a two-week period.

Currently, the Colonials have played just five games in A-10 play, which is the lowest number in the 14-team league.

The team will take the court for the first time in 35 days when it hosts Rhode Island Sunday. The long-awaited tipoff is slated for 11:30 a.m.