Men’s basketball postpones sixth consecutive game as team battles COVID-19

Men’s basketball head coach Jamion Christian tested positive for COVID-19 Jan. 19.

Men’s basketball postponed its sixth straight game since head coach Jamion Christian tested positive for COVID-19, according to a release Wednesday.

The squad pushed back its Feb. 9 matchup with Richmond, marking the sixth time the Colonials (3-9, 2-3 A-10) have delayed a game because of current COVID-19 protocols. Richmond (10-4, 4-2 A-10) is also on pause after entering COVID-19 protocols, delaying its next three matchups.

In total this season, GW has delayed eight Atlantic 10 games.

The first shelved matchup was scheduled for Jan. 6. The Colonials planned to host Massachusetts, but they postponed the game because of a District-wide curfew after supporters of former President Donald Trump stormed the U.S. Capitol.

The squad then put off the following contest – a Jan. 9 game at St. Bonaventure – after a staff member in the team’s traveling party tested positive for the virus. The Colonials conducted contact tracing and additional testing, and the program was back in action the next night.

Christian announced Jan. 19 that he tested positive for COVID-19, resulting in the team’s Jan. 20 and Jan. 24 matchups with Dayton and Rhode Island, respectively, to be postponed. Two more games were delayed against George Mason Jan. 27 and Fordham Jan. 30 as the team underwent additional testing.

GW’s Feb. 6 game against Saint Louis was also delayed due to the team’s current pause.

After the first four games were pushed, athletic department spokesperson Brian Sereno said “medical privacy laws” prevent him from answering how many members of the team, aside from Christian, tested positive for the virus and what testing requirements the squad must complete to resume practice and competition.

“There is a phalanx of people networked together working daily toward a safe return to practice and play,” he said in an email.

The next game on the Colonials schedule is slated for Feb. 13 at La Salle. Tipoff is set for 2 p.m.