Men’s basketball postpones two more games as COVID-19 pause continues

File Photo by Eric Lee
The men’s basketball team will miss two additional games after head coach Jamion Christian tested positive for COVID-19.

Men’s basketball postponed its upcoming games against George Mason Wednesday and Fordham Saturday due to a continued pause after a positive COVID-19 test, according to a release Monday.

Head coach Jamion Christian tested positive for COVID-19 last week, halting basketball activities until further testing and contact tracing could be completed. The Monday release states that the team is still undergoing additional testing before the squad can return to practice and competition.

Athletic department spokesperson Brian Sereno declined to say how many staff members and players tested positive for COVID-19, citing medical privacy laws. He also declined to say how players quarantined, if necessary, and how program members were communicating with medical personnel, citing the same medical privacy laws.

Sereno declined to say what testing requirements the team would need to meet to return to practice and competition, citing medical privacy laws.

“There is a phalanx of people networked together working daily toward a safe return to practice and play,” he said in an email.

The Colonials (3-9, 2-3 A-10) will miss four games from Jan. 20 through Jan. 30 against Dayton, Rhode Island, George Mason and Fordham as a result of the current pause.

The team was forced to push back its first game of the season against Massachusetts Jan. 6 after pro-Trump rioters stormed the U.S. Capitol and Mayor Muriel Bowser enacted a District-wide curfew.

The team missed the following game, a Jan. 9 matchup at St. Bonaventure, after a member of the Colonials’ traveling party tested positive for the virus. GW was able to complete contact tracing and additional testing, returning to practice the following day.

The Atlantic 10 currently has six conference games to reschedule for the Colonials.

GW is scheduled to take the court again Feb. 6 against Saint Louis, who missed its first seven conference games after experiencing COVID-19-related issues. Tipoff against the No. 22 nationally ranked Billikens has yet to be determined.