Men’s basketball extends quarantine for fourth time amid COVID-19 protocols

The+squad+has+now+pushed+back+seven+games+due+to+COVID-19+protocols.+
Courtesy of GW Athletics
The squad has now pushed back seven games due to COVID-19 protocols.

Men’s basketball’s Feb. 13 matchup against La Salle was shelved due to COVID-19 protocols, continuing a nearly monthlong pause, according to a release Wednesday.

The Colonials’ (3-9, 2-3 A-10) have now postponed seven games and about half of its 18-game conference schedule since head coach Jamion Christian tested positive for the virus Jan. 19. GW currently has four games left on its docket spanning from Feb. 17 to March 2.

The squad delayed its first game of the year Jan. 6 as Mayor Muriel Bowser imposed a District-wide curfew following an insurrection at the U.S. Capitol.

The team’s next matchup – a road tussle with St. Bonaventure Jan. 9 – was put off because a staff member in the team’s traveling party tested positive for COVID-19. The squad conducted additional contact tracing and testing and returned to the court the following night.

A home-and-home series with Dayton Jan. 20 and road trip to Rhode Island Jan. 24 were also postponed in the team’s initial pause.

Additional testing continued the delay, pushing back games at George Mason and Fordham Jan. 27 and Jan. 30, respectively. The team then halted meetings with Saint Louis Feb. 6 and Richmond Feb. 9.

After the first four games were pushed, athletic department spokesperson Brian Sereno said “medical privacy laws” prevent him from answering how many members of the team, aside from Christian, tested positive for the virus and what testing requirements the squad must complete to resume practice and competition.

“There is a phalanx of people networked together working daily toward a safe return to practice and play,” he said in an email.

The squad’s next game is scheduled for Feb. 17 – nearly one month after going into quarantine – with a home matchup against Saint Joseph’s. Tipoff is slated for 6 p.m.