Men’s basketball transfer eligible to play in 2020-21 season

Sophomore guard James Bishop received a transfer waiver from the NCAA, making him eligible to play for men’s basketball this upcoming season, athletic department spokesperson Brian Sereno said Tuesday.

Bishop transferred to GW from LSU, where he averaged 3.1 points and 0.3 rebounds in 8.6 minutes per game in 14 appearances. He is the second currently rostered Colonial to receive a transfer waiver from the NCAA – junior guard Amir Harris was granted a waiver last season.

Bishop is one of four transfers that head coach Jamion Christian added to the squad’s roster this season. Graduate student transfers Matthew Moyer, a forward, and Brandon Leftwich, a guard, will be eligible to compete this year. Junior forward Ricky Lindo Jr. will need to sit out the 2020-21 season per NCAA transfer rules.

Bishop, Moyer and Leftwich will be joined on the court by junior forward Sloan Seymour, who transferred to the team last year from Siena and sat out the 2019-20 season per NCAA transfer rules. Sophomore forward Hunter Dean, who transferred to the squad mid-season last year from Southern Mississippi, will be eligible to play for the Colonials after the fall semester.

Three freshmen — center Noel Brown and guards Lincoln Ball and Tyler Brelsford — round out GW’s newest additions for the 2020-21 season.