Officials appoint new CPS dean

About+70+students+are+currently+enrolled+in+the+undergraduate+program+for+information+technology%2C+compared+to+10+students+a+decade+ago.+
File Photo by Connor Witschonke | Staff Photographer
About 70 students are currently enrolled in the undergraduate program for information technology, compared to 10 students a decade ago.

Updated: July 22, 2022 at 2:25 p.m.

Officials named a new dean for the College of Professional studies after almost two years without a permanent dean, according to a University release published Wednesday.

Liesl Riddle, currently a vice dean for strategy at the School of Business, will take over as the head of CPS at the beginning of August. Melissa Feuer, the interim dean of CPS, has held the mantle of the school’s top spot since August 2020 when Christopher Deering, the former interim dean, left the position after almost three years in the role.

“The opportunity to lead our GW school that is at the forefront of interdisciplinary innovation is an honor that I am thrilled to accept,” Riddle said in the release. “The portfolio of applied programs across our College of Professional Studies benefits lifelong learners in ways that advance business, government and society. I look forward to collaborating with colleagues within the school to build additional bridges across the university and with external partners to develop programs that enhance students’ professional careers.”

Riddle has worked in the School of Business for more than 20 years, starting as an assistant professor in 2001, and gradually working up into the school’s administration, including as associate dean of graduate programs in 2018, the release states. She only took over as vice dean of strategy last year, where she oversees the Business school’s 14 research programs.

“Liesl Riddle is a strategic thinker, an experienced collaborator across schools and has demonstrated a commitment to enhancing diversity, equity and inclusion in the student body and faculty,” Hugh Agnew, professor of history and international affairs and chair of the search committee said in the release. “We are excited to see where she will take CPS in the coming years.”

Officials announced in the spring that they had hoped to fill both CPS and the School of Nursing’s interim dean positions will full-time candidates by the fall. Riddle’s appointment to the permanent dean role checks one of the two boxes officials said they would fill.

“Dr. Riddle has many years of experience and a proven track record of leadership at GW,”  Provost Chris Bracey said. “In her 20 years with the School of Business, she has been a visionary leader who has worked to design and implement a strategic plan, established and expanded D.C. partnerships, increased graduate rankings, boosted enrollment and maintained retention and diversity within the student body. Dr. Riddle will be a tremendous asset to the students, faculty and staff in the College of Professional Studies and lead it into an exciting future.”

This post was updated to correct the following:
The Hatchet incorrectly reported that Christopher Deering was the former permanent dean of the College of Professional Studies. He was the former interim dean. We regret this error.