Deering to depart as College of Professional Studies, Virginia campus interim dean

Christopher+Deering%2C+the+interim+dean+of+the+College+of+Professional+Studies%2C+said+the+FinTech+bootcamp+will+teach+participants+skills+that+are+in+demand+in+the+job+market.+
Christopher Deering, the interim dean of the College of Professional Studies, said the FinTech bootcamp will teach participants skills that are in demand in the job market.

The interim dean of the College of Professional Studies and Virginia Science and Technology Campus will conclude his appointment Sept. 1 after more than two and a half years in the role.

Christopher Deering, who began his appointment in February 2018 after former permanent Dean Ali Eskandarian stepped down, will take a sabbatical this upcoming academic year before returning to the faculty, according to an email that was obtained by The Hatchet Thursday. Provost Brian Blake told The Hatchet that the college is at an “inflection point” where officials can safely seek a permanent leader.

“After a discussion with Dean Deering, I felt this would be the best transition point for the leadership in the school as we begin a set of student, faculty and administrator forums to envision the future of both CPS and VSTC,” Blake said in an email Monday.

Blake said he will meet with CPS’ program leadership throughout the next month to develop an appropriate leadership structure during an “upcoming” search.

Blake said in the email sent Thursday that CPS leadership will continue Deering’s “bold vision” in providing contemporary instruction, like industry-specialized courses and modular certificates.

“His many years of experience at GW and commitment to collaboration have made him a valued partner of our leadership team, and I am extremely grateful for his service,” he said in the email.

Blake will identify an acting dean of CPS before Deering’s departure, and the Office of the Provost will provide “additional support” to the Virginia campus as officials investigate “new partnerships” for the campus, according to the email.