College of Professional Studies acting dean appointed to interim role

About+70+students+are+currently+enrolled+in+the+undergraduate+program+for+information+technology%2C+compared+to+10+students+a+decade+ago.+
File Photo by Connor Witschonke | Staff Photographer
About 70 students are currently enrolled in the undergraduate program for information technology, compared to 10 students a decade ago.

Updated: May 12, 2021 at 4:39 p.m.

The acting dean of the College of Professional Studies will take over as interim dean starting May 1, according to a tweet from the CPS account.

Melissa Feuer, who previously served as the associate dean for the school’s student and academic affairs, will assume the interim role after serving as acting dean since September. Feuer succeeded Christopher Deering, who led CPS and the Virginia Science and Technology Campus for more than two and a half years.

“She brings her unique insights and years of experience with CPS to the role,” the CPS tweet reads. “Thank you for your outstanding leadership.”

Feuer first joined the University in 2007 as an adjunct professor of paralegal studies and formerly served as a practicing attorney.

Provost Brian Blake said he shared authority over CPS with Feuer when she served as acting dean, but Feuer will assume the full leadership and management of CPS as the interim dean. He said Feuer’s “effectiveness” allowed officials to delay the start of their search for a permanent dean from February until this summer, hoping for an in-person recruitment process this fall.

Blake said Feuer has been “brilliant” in the position, fueling the college’s vision with “brainstorming meetings” held with program leader’s and Blake’s office.

“She has seamlessly managed operations during the pandemic and, considering a lean budget season, advocated successfully for resources that have further sustained the CPS operations in Ashburn, Alexandria and Arlington,” he said.

Editor’s Note:
This post was updated to include a comment from Blake.