Third transfer leaves men’s basketball program since season’s end

Junior forward Sloan Seymour entered the transfer portal, athletic department spokesperson Brian Sereno confirmed earlier this month.

Seymour’s decision came two days after the departures of sophomore forwards Jamison Battle and Chase Paar earlier this month. Six Colonials have left the program over the course of the 2020-21 campaign, including sophomore guard Jameer Nelson Jr., senior forward Ace Stallings and senior guard Maceo Jack who left in December.

Seymour did not return a request for comment.

Head coach Jamion Christian released a statement after Battle and Paar transferred earlier this month saying he supports a player’s right to transfer. He added that the program needs to improve, and he plans to work with the players to return the squad to its former “glory.”

“We need to get better,” Christian said in the statement. “I need to get better. I will be better, and I believe deeply in the guys we have in the locker room. I look forward to coaching this group and bringing in new additions in short order that will help to restore our program to the glory that our University, alumni and fan base deserve.”

As a freshman, Seymour was a starter under Christian at Siena. He averaged 9.1 points per game with 32 starts and set the program record for number of made threes (94) for a freshman, earning him a spot on the MAAC All-Rookie Team.

When Christian received the gig at GW, Seymour followed and spent two years with the Colonials. After sitting out the 2019-20 season due to NCAA transfer rules, he averaged 4.3 points per game during his junior campaign. He hit 14 triples, firing at a .368 clip.

Seymour played in just 12 games, missing the final five contests of the season after opting out. He averaged 12.3 minutes a game without a start. He last played for GW on Jan. 17, netting 10 points in a 67–54 loss to Dayton.

GW then went on its second COVID-19 pause of the season Jan. 19, missing eight straight games. In total, the Colonials missed 10 conference contests after two COVID-19 pauses and canceled a meeting with Massachusetts after the insurrection at the U.S. Capitol.

The Colonials (5-12, 3-5 A-10) ended their season in the second round of the Atlantic 10 tournament after falling to George Mason last week.

All 10 remaining players will be eligible to return to the squad next year after the NCAA allowed another year of eligibility for winter sport athletes.