Senior guard leaves men’s basketball program

File Photo by Phebe Grosser | Photographer
Maceo Jack, a Buffalo, New York, native, said he wants to end his tenure on the team by besting his single-season record for three-point shots made.

Senior guard Maceo Jack left the men’s basketball program and will enter the transfer portal, according to a release Wednesday.

Jack was the longest tenured person – player or coach – in the program, joining GW for the 2017-18 season. He is eligible for one more year per an NCAA exception granted to winter sport athletes, and Jack will either use his eligibility or seek a professional career, the release states.

Head coach Jamion Christian said Jack was “among the best people I’ve ever coached,” adding that he was an “exceptional” leader and “terrific” shooter.

“As Maceo develops in his basketball career, he deserves to play more minutes than he’s currently able to play on our young and developing team,” Christian said. “I will always root for Maceo Jack and this is a tough day because of the bonds he created within our GW family, which he’ll forever be a part of. I applaud him for the work he has put in each day and his passion for being a great teammate.”

In his first three seasons with the Colonials, Jack saw his role with the team expand. In his first season, Jacked played in 24 games, averaging 8.3 minutes and 2.8 points per game. He exploded into his sophomore year, making 28 starts and playing 28.5 minutes a contest. He tabbed 11.5 points per game, firing at a .399 clip from the floor.

He continued cementing himself into the lineup his junior season, playing in all 32 games with 28 starts. He sank 83 three-pointers – good for second in the Atlantic 10 behind fellow Colonial then-freshman forward Jamison Battle – and averaged 11.7 points and 35.8 minutes a game.

Prior to his senior season, Jack said he wanted to leave a legacy at GW and had ambitions to earn spots on the A-10 All-Conference First Team and All-Defensive Team.

But once the season started, Jack shifted from the starting five to a sub in. In the first seven games of the season, Jack started just one game and averaged 6.9 points on 17-of-30 shooting from the floor and 8-of-20 shooting from deep.

Jack will remain at GW as a student and graduate with a degree in political science in May, the release states.

The Colonials (1-6) are off to their worst start since the 2018-19 season, when the team won just nine games. The squad wrapped its nonconference slate and will open A-10 play Dec. 30 at Fordham. Tipoff is set for 1 p.m.