Sophomore forward earns spot on All-Conference Third-Team

Jamison+Battle
Sophomore forward Jamison Battle is one of two players who entered the transfer portal this week.

Sophomore forward Jamison Battle earned a spot on the Atlantic 10 All-Conference Third Team, according to a press release Wednesday.

Battle was the sole Colonial to earn a postseason accolade this season, and the award marked his second postseason honor in his young career after being named to the All-Rookie Team last year. The All-Conference Third Team nomination came after the big man announced his intention to transfer from the program Monday.

“I would first like to thank everyone at GW for welcoming me with open arms and giving me this opportunity,” Battle wrote in a tweet. “After thinking and talking with my family, I believe it is best for me to enter my name into the transfer portal and explore other options.”

Battle was the youngest addition to the All-Conference Third Team. He joined Dayton redshirt senior guard Ibi Watson, George Mason junior guard Jordan Miller, Rhode Island senior guard Fatts Russell, Richmond graduate student forward Grant Golden and VCU junior forward Vince Williams Jr.

He made a splash for GW during the 2020-21 campaign, averaging 17.3 points per game and scoring nearly a quarter (22.4 percent) of the team’s total offense.

Battle finished No. 7 in the A-10 in scoring and ranked No. 20 and No. 25 in the league in field goal percentage and three-point percentage. He fired at .475 and .354 clips from the field and deep, respectively. He tacked on 5.2 rebounds per game.

After missing two games due to a concussion, Battle started all 15 games he played in, racking up a team-leading 36.5 minutes per game.

The Colonials’ (5-12, 3-5 A-10) conference schedule was slashed by 10 games after an insurrection at the U.S. Capitol and two COVID-19 pauses postponed 10 A-10 matchups. The second pause, which lasted 35 days and canceled eight straight contests, began Jan. 17 after head coach Jamion Christian tested positive for the virus.

Battle played his final game in the buff and blue last week as the squad fell 73–59 to No. 6 George Mason in the second round of the A-10 tournament.