Women’s basketball on pause after positive COVID-19 test

Womens+basketball+head+coach+Jennifer+Rizzotti%2C+an+assistant+coach+for+the+USA+Basketball+Womens+National+Team%2C+said+the+Olympic+team+will+take+their+extra+year+before+the+Summer+Olympic+Games+in+Tokyo+in+2021+to+double+down+on+training.+
File Photo By Eric Lee
Women’s basketball head coach Jennifer Rizzotti, an assistant coach for the USA Basketball Women’s National Team, said the Olympic team will take their extra year before the Summer Olympic Games in Tokyo in 2021 to double down on training.

Women’s basketball postponed two road games after a Tier 1 member of the team’s traveling party tested positive for COVID-19, according to a release Thursday.

The Colonials’ (4-12, 1-9 A-10) contests against Massachusetts Friday and Rhode Island Sunday were postponed due to the COVID-19 concerns. The team has placed a moratorium on all activities as a result, and both games have not been rescheduled, according to the release.

“In accordance with guidelines, policy and protocols, all Tier 1 personnel are now undergoing additional testing and contact tracing,” the release states. “Until the additional testing and contact tracing is completed, all program activity will be paused.”

The Colonials’ traveling party can include 20 to 25 members, depending on the trip, athletic department spokesperson Kevin Burke said in an email. Tier 1 is considered the highest exposure tier and includes student-athletes, coaches, athletic trainers and medical and equipment staff.

Burke declined to say when the team member tested positive and when the team was notified of the positive test, citing department policy and medical privacy laws. He also declined to say how many members came into contact with the individual who tested positive, citing the same policies.

The two games mark the third and fourth postponements for the squad this season. Virus-related issues in Saint Louis’ program caused GW’s first postponement Jan. 8, and a Jan. 20 matchup at VCU was delayed a week due to GW travel concerns on Inauguration Day.

The Colonials were looking to snap a five-game skid after their most recent 64–50 defeat to VCU Monday.

The women’s program joins men’s basketball, which has been paused since Jan. 19 after head coach Jamion Christian tested positive for the virus. The team has since shelved six straight games.

As of now, the Colonials will return to the Smith Center next Friday to host Duquesne. Tipoff is scheduled for 5 p.m.