Women’s basketball reschedules game with VCU

Women’s basketball’s Wednesday contest at VCU has been postponed and rescheduled, according to a release Tuesday.

The game was postponed due to concerns from GW about traveling to Richmond on Inauguration Day, according to a VCU release. The road game between the Colonials (4-7, 1-4 A-10) and Rams (6-6, 4-1 A-10) will now take place Jan. 27 in VCU’s Siegel Center.

The postponement was not COVID-19 related, the release states. VCU’s program paused Sunday due to COVID-19 protocols, but the team was cleared to play Wednesday.

The game marks the third schedule adjustment of the season for GW. Prior to the postponement, the Colonials’ nonconference matchup with Virginia was canceled as a non-COVID-19-related “health and safety precaution.” The Cavaliers could only field a six-person roster as the team was plagued by injuries.

The team’s Jan. 8 matchup against Saint Louis was postponed due to COVID-19-related issues in the Billikens’ program.

The postponement is also the third instance in two weeks in which events in D.C. have affected men’s and women’s basketball scheduling. Earlier this month, men’s basketball needed to postpone its matchup with Massachusetts after a District-wide curfew was put into effect as then-President Donald Trump’s supporters rioted at the U.S. Capitol.

The men’s basketball game against Dayton Sunday was also moved to EagleBank Arena on George Mason’s campus in anticipation of road closures and extra security measures ahead of then-President-elect Joe Biden’s inauguration.

The Colonials were looking to build off a dominant Sunday 67–47 win over conference rivals George Mason that snapped a four-game losing streak.

The Colonials will hit the road at La Salle Friday. Tipoff is scheduled for 2 p.m.