Officials announce plans for returning students’ belongings, continued storage

File Photo by Eric Lee
Administrators will hold several virtual forums for community members in the coming weeks and will staff a live-answer information line for anyone with questions, the release states.

Students not returning to campus will be contacted “in the coming weeks” by one of three storage companies to reclaim their belongings, according to an email sent to students Friday.

Students approved to live on campus during the fall virtual learning period will have their belongings brought to their campus housing assignment before move-in, the email states. Campus Living and Residential Education officials said they are working with the three moving companies JK Moving, Storage Squad and Interstate Movingemployed in the spring to reunite students with their belongings that were packed in April.

“In an effort to send a quick communication to as broad a group of spring 2020 residents as possible, this information may not pertain to some of you, especially if you have already been reunited with your belongings,” the email states. “For the rest of you, this will be among a series of updates to come as we work out plans for the next couple of weeks.”

Prior to the University’s reversal to have a remote fall semester, the moving companies would have begun delivering students’ stored items to residence hall rooms next week in preparation for move-in, according to an email sent to students last month.

The Friday email states that the moving companies, in an effort to assist students trying to reunite with their belongings, have begun to offer contactless pickup options at their warehouses. More dates will be offered for onsite pickups in the coming weeks, in addition to other storage options, and will be communicated directly to students by their respective moving company, the email states.

“We will continue to offer these pickup options in August as widely as possible with the understanding that there will be a small window of time the movers will be on campus re-delivering items for returning students,” the email states.

Travel to pick up and deliver “essential” household items is allowed in accordance with most states’ strict quarantine mandates, according to the email. The email also clarifies that GW’s original Sept. 1 deadline for students to reclaim their belongings by without incurring fees for storage is based on an outdated timeline, and more information will be provided “soon.”

“We realize that we have not answered all of your questions,” the email states. “Within the next week, we will provide more updates that focus on continued storage of your belongings at the moving company or shipping.”