Officials announce Thursday deadline to apply for fall housing

Students+said+they+felt+unsupported+during+the+room+swap+process.+
File Photo by Connor Witschonke | Staff Photographer
Students said they felt unsupported during the room swap process.

Students seeking to live on campus for the fall semester must apply by July 30 at 9 p.m. to be considered, an email sent to students Wednesday states.

Students will need to apply for housing by Thursday to be considered, and applicants will be notified about if they were approved on Aug. 5 by 4 p.m., according to the email. The email states that undergraduates facing certain “extenuating circumstances” will be eligible to apply for fall on-campus housing.

“These include undergraduate students without a safe alternative, students for whom their home situation is not conducive to successful virtual education, international students and students involved in very specific academic research programs, art and design projects, clinical programs or time-limited facility-specific or D.C.-resource-related engagements that require in-person activity in order to culminate in academic year 2020-21,” the email states.

The email states students will have two days after approval to sign their housing agreement, and officials will not be taking appeals if a student’s application was denied. Students applying for housing will not have an option to share their preference of residence hall but may choose one roommate, with freshmen housing only with other freshmen, according to the email.

The email states that students who were planning to live on campus for the fall semester will be given a full-year assignment, but officials have not made decisions about how many students they’ll be able to accommodate in the spring, the email states.

On-campus students will have their belongings delivered to their new housing assignments, according to the email.

“We will work with students whose belongings remain in the off-site storage facilities and who now will not be returning this fall to live in on-campus housing to determine a plan to reunite these students with their belongings,” the email states.