Tens of thousands visit COVID-19 website for updates on safety measures, virus impacts

Grace Hromin | Staff Photographer
University spokeswoman Crystal Nosal said officials have been updating the University community through resources like the website, emails and a live phone hotline.

About 100,000 people visited GW’s COVID-19 website in the month and a half after its launch, officials said.

University spokeswoman Crystal Nosal said the COVID-19 Campus Advisories website has seen an estimated 99,264 visitors, almost 150,000 unique visits and more than 230,000 total page views from March 2 to April 19. She said officials have been communicating updates to the University community through the website, emails, Facebook, Instagram and a live phone hotline during regular business hours.

Administrators have posted more than 140 answers on the website’s frequently asked questions page, including information about student employees, virtual learning, staff and the virus itself.

“The COVID-19 FAQs are updated as new recommendations are made by the CDC and our public health partners, and new information is found to be helpful, for example, changing mask requirements in D.C. and Maryland,” Nosal said in an email. “That frequently occurs every day.”

The website also includes an archive of about 50 email announcements related to the virus.

Nosal said GW’s COVID-19 phone information line can be reached by calling 1-855-GWU-INFO and is staffed from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. She said the information line assists faculty and staff with questions about University operations and connects community members with the appropriate officers and resources.