Marvin Center closes to public to curb spread of COVID-19

Eric Lee | Staff Photographer
GWorld card holders can access the Marvin Center through the H Street entrance beginning Friday.

The Marvin Center will close to the public starting Friday evening, according to an email sent to the GW community Thursday.

The center will remain open to students, faculty and staff with an active GWorld card from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. to use Colonial Health Center and student support services, according to the email. The email states that GWorld card holders can enter the building through the upper H Street entrance, which is closest to Panera Bread.

“GW is continuing to monitor the efficiency and effectiveness of campus access controls in order to limit the number of people on our campuses,” the email states. “We are committed to notifying you as we adjust and change access to our buildings.”

The email states that the Marvin Center garage will be closed, and current permit holders were contacted about alternate parking locations. The email did not specify how long the center will be closed.

The School of Medicine and Health Sciences will restrict access to Ross Hall to “authorized” personnel only and the Himmelfarb Library will be physically closed, but its resources are available online for medical school, Milken Institute School of Public Health and GW School of Nursing students, faculty and staff. Gelman Library will also close Friday.

Officials closed residence halls for the rest of the semester and told students to leave campus as soon as possible Tuesday. Most in-person classes are also canceled for the rest of the semester.

CHC staff is shifting operations to care for only urgent and sick patients and emergency mental health consultations during business hours in compliance with D.C. health department guidelines. Officials called off all future ongoing counseling appointments and announced Wednesday that the health center on the Mount Vernon Campus will close for the semester.