F-1 visa recipients cannot legally telework from off-campus housing, officials say

Student employees with F-1 visas cannot telework from off-campus housing as classes move online, officials announced in an email to affected students.

U.S. law permits student employees with F-1 visas, which authorize their entry to the United States as academic students, the ability to work on-campus or in “educationally affiliated locations” approved by the International Services Office, officials said in an email to affected students. Because the federal government has not waived that requirement, F-1 students displaced from campus by COVID-19 should not telework if they live in off-campus housing in the United States, the email states.

“Student employees who hold F-1 visa status are not permitted under the terms of their F-1 visa to telecommute from locations that are off-campus,” the email states. “The University is monitoring any developments to see if this restriction may be lifted in light of COVID-19.”

Students who remain in on-campus residential housing may telework provided that their supervisor complete a Student Employee Telework Form by March 25, according to the email. Student employees working from their home country may continue to telework only until March 28 provided their supervisor complete the same form, the email states.

Students authorized to work in-person on campus may continue to do so, according to the email.

Officials moved classes online for the rest of the semester and are closing all residence halls in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.