Officials offer housing, dining refunds as students prepare to leave campus

Officials will reimburse those who move off campus for housing, dining and parking costs as the University transitions to online courses next week.

Students required to leave campus will be credited the “nightly rate” of their residence hall rooms while GW closes to most students, according to an email sent to students Saturday night. Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer Mark Diaz and Vice President of Student Affairs and Dean of Students Cissy Petty said students can also request refunds for their dining plan and parking permits for each day GW takes class online, the email states.

“We realize that this is a difficult time for many, and we appreciate your patience and understanding as we continue to address ways to support you during this evolving situation,” the email states.

Any additional funds on a student’s GWorld will remain in their account and roll over to the next academic year. The funds will not run out unless a student’s account is inactive for 36 months, according to the email.

Students allowed to stay on campus can purchase “emergency meal kits” at a “low cost” while they live at GW, according to the email.

“We urge you to stock food and personal items in the event you are unable to leave your unit for any period of time,” the email states.

Officials announced Tuesday that most classes will move online starting immediately after spring break until at least April 5. University President Thomas LeBlanc said at a Faculty Senate meeting Friday that about 1,200 students will be permitted to remain in their residence halls between March 20 and at least April 5.

Tap access to residence halls was turned off early Saturday morning, and students staying on campus must check in on the Campus Listing e-services website to receive GWorld access during spring break.