Health center staff following CDC guidelines to detect COVID-19 symptoms, officials said

The+free+WellTrack+app+will+feature+functions+like+mood+tracking+and+informational+video+modules+to+help+students+track+their+mental+health.+
The free WellTrack app will feature functions like mood tracking and informational video modules to help students track their mental health.

The Colonial Health Center is following Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines to detect COVID-19 symptoms, officials said.

Students who feel they have symptoms associated with the virus – fever, cough, shortness of breath and other respiratory signs – are encouraged to call and report their condition to the health center to “reduce exposure to other patients,” officials said. CHC staff will assess students’ need for further care at a hospital if students indicate symptoms consistent with the virus, they said.

“If not, CHC staff are coordinating with [Campus Living and Residential Education] to ensure the student is able to safely self isolate as well as facilitating transport to their residence,” University spokeswoman Crystal Nosal said in an email.

Mayor Muriel Bowser announced a state of emergency in the District Wednesday after the number of COVID-19 cases reached six people. As of Friday, D.C. tallies 10 confirmed COVID-19 cases, according to data from the mayor’s office.

The University is preparing to shift to online classes after spring break for at least two weeks. Officials also banned meetings of more than 100 people, pressed staff to delay or cancel domestic travel and suspended international travel as the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases continues to climb.