Bowser bans gatherings of more than 250 people, Metro alters transit schedules

File Photo by Arielle Bader | Contributing Photo Editor
No more than 250 people are allowed to gather, according to the mayor’s office.

Mayor Muriel Bowser is banning mass gatherings, decreasing the number of people allowed to congregate from 1,000 to 250.

The ban comes after Bowser declared a state of emergency Wednesday and as the Metro begins to alter its rail and bus schedules. The University is also limiting on-campus gatherings to no more than 100 people and canceling all on-campus events until at least April 5.

There are now 11 confirmed COVID-19 cases in the District and 42 throughout the DMV, The Washington Post reported Friday.

Metro officials also announced Friday that the agency will shift to the third phase of its Pandemic Flu Plan, which includes telework for administrative employees to slow the spread of COVID-19 through social distancing. The third phase is the “highest level of response” in the plan.

Beginning Monday, Metro trains on all lines will operate every 12 minutes Monday through Saturday and every 15 minutes on Sunday. Metro’s opening and closing times will remain the same, and Metrobus will use Saturday schedules throughout the entire week.

“To help protect employees and customers, and recognizing that many of Metro’s frontline employees are faced with tough choices as they balance work with their family priorities, including caring for children who are home from area schools, Metro is reducing service beginning Monday,” a Metro release states.

Metro also urged customers not to use public transit to travel to healthcare appointments or if feeling ill. Visitors to Metro headquarters are banned, and all public meetings at its headquarters have been suspended, the release states.