Jack Evans announces bid for former Council seat 10 days after resigning

Former Ward 2 Councilmember Jack Evans is running for the seat he vacated earlier this month following an ethics scandal surrounding his private business dealings, according to government documents.

Evans resigned from his seat Jan. 17, just days before his colleagues were expected to expel him from the Council after multiple local and federal probes found he violated various ethics codes. He has filed to run in both the Democratic Party primary on June 2 and the special election on June 16 to fill the seat until the general election this fall, according to D.C. Board of Elections documents released Monday.

Evans did not return a request for comment.

The former Councilmember will face six challengers in the June Democratic primary – John Fanning, Jordan Grossman, Daniel Hernandez, Patrick Kennedy, Kishan Putta and Yilin Zhang. Republican Katherine Venice announced her bid for the position Jan. 15.

Five of the six primary candidates and Venice have filed to run for the spot in the special election.

Evans first fell under a D.C. ethics board investigation last January for possible connections between his public seat and private business dealings. The board suspended its investigation so federal authorities could examine the matter.

A Metro board investigation found last summer that Evans violated ethics codes for a conflict of interest he fostered through his simultaneous work as Metro board chair and a private consultant. He stepped down from the board about a week after the findings were released.

In July, the Council voted to remove Evans from his position as the chairman of the Committee on Finance and Revenue as a result of the Metro probe. The Council opened its own investigation and revealed in November that Evans had violated the body’s ethics codes at least 11 times since 2014.