Fifth candidate announces bid against Jack Evans

A fifth challenger has entered the race to unseat Ward 2 Councilmember Jack Evans in next year’s primary election.

Kishan Putta, an Advisory Neighborhood Commissioner representing the Georgetown, Burleith and Hillandale neighborhoods, filed his candidacy with the District Wednesday. Putta told The Washington Post he wants to restore faith in local government as Evans, who is running for re-election for the Council seat, faces federal investigation for alleged conflicts of interest and unethical business dealings.

“When I’ve talked to residents and voters and neighbors, I hear that a lot of them have unfortunately lost faith in their Council member,” Putta told The Post. “My first priority would be to restore their trust in their elected Council member.”

Putta previously served as a commissioner in Dupont Circle, and he unsuccessfully ran for an at-large D.C. Council seat in 2014. He has earned degrees from both Dartmouth College and Harvard University and lives in the Burleith neighborhood with his wife and son.

His campaign proposals include limiting himself to two terms on the Council, making transportation “better and easier,” investing in parks and greenspace, inspecting schools before each academic year, funding childcare subsidies and protecting the rights of minority groups.

Putta has also noted on his campaign website that he would not use his Councilmember license plate improperly, apparently referencing Evans’ documented illegal parking. He has pledged to participate in D.C.’s new Fair Elections Program, which provides public campaign funding to candidates who promise not to accept large-dollar donations.

Putta joins an already crowded field to unseat Evans. Foggy Bottom and West End ANC Vice Chair Patrick Kennedy, former Barack Obama staffer Jordan Grossman, Logan Circle ANC member John Fanning and former Marine Daniel Hernandez have all entered the race to represent Ward 2.

Voters will elect the next Democratic nominee for Ward 2 councilmember on June 2, 2020.