Lone Republican enters race to succeed Jack Evans as councilmember

Updated: Jan. 21, 2020 at 2:08 p.m.

A Republican candidate has joined the race to succeed Jack Evans as Ward 2’s next councilmember.

Katherine Venice, an investment management professional originally hailing from England, told DCist that she is entering the race because the District’s government needs “a different approach and innovative thinking.” Venice is the seventh person to announce their candidacy ahead of the June primaries, joining six Democrats.

Venice, who told DCist that she is a “relative newcomer” to Ward 2 but declined to tell the publication how long she has lived in the ward, said her focus as a councilmember – given her background in finance – would be on fiscal issues and reduced spending ahead of D.C.’s next economic downturn.

“Now is the time to husband our resources responsibly, or else the most vulnerable people in the city are going to face the consequences, and we can’t allow that,” she told DCist.

Evans will resign from his position Friday after councilmembers unanimously called for his expulsion amid multiple ethics investigations into his conduct as councilmembers and his business dealings. A special election will be held two weeks after the primaries, and the winner will serve the remainder of Evans’ term.

Venice said she plans to run in both the special election and the November general election to serve a full term.

This post has been updated to correct the following:

Due to a misquotation in the DCist, we incorrectly quoted Venice. The quote is now correct.