Sexual assaults in Foggy Bottom, Dupont Circle could be connected: police

Metropolitan Police Department officers are investigating whether a string of sexual harassment cases in Foggy Bottom and Dupont Circle this summer may be connected.

Police launched the investigation last week after three women reported separate inappropriate sexual encounters with a man in Dupont Circle Aug. 1. In less than an hour, two women said the suspect sexually assaulted them, while another said the man leaned against a fence with his genitals exposed and then began to follow her, News4 reported Monday.

All three contacted police with the same description of the suspect: a 6-foot to 6-foot-2 white man, between the ages of 25 and 35, with an athletic build.

Police are investigating whether the three incidents are related to each other or a sexual assault that occurred near GW Hospital late last month. In that incident, a man was recorded on a security camera approaching a woman and assaulting her while trying to remove her clothes.

Police also told News4 that they are not ruling out a connection to two other sexual assaults in Dupont Circle on June 13 and 24. In the latter case, the survivor described the suspect as roughly 5-foot-7, a half-foot shorter than the perpetrator of last week’s sexual assaults.

The investigation comes just weeks after police inspected a possible connection between six incidents of sexual assault in Georgetown and Foggy Bottom, which occurred over a three-day period in late May and early June.