Senate minority leader transported to GW Hospital for concussion after fall

Officials+said+the+patient+who+was+refused+testing+at+the+GW+Hospital+did+not+fit+the+criteria+for+testing.+
File Photo by Alexander Welling
Officials said the patient who was refused testing at the GW Hospital did not fit the criteria for testing.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., was transported to GW Hospital after falling at a Wednesday night dinner event and will remain there for the next “few days,” the New York Times reported Thursday.

David Popp, a McConnell spokesperson, told the Times that responders delivered the senator to the hospital at about 9 p.m., where he is seeking treatment for a concussion after tripping and falling at a fundraiser dinner at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel on 1100 Block of Pennsylvania Avenue NW, a hotel previously owned by former President Trump until last spring. Government officials, including President Biden, Senate Majority Leader Charles Schumer, D-NY and other members of Congress wished McConnell, 81, a fast recovery.

McConnell’s spokesperson did not comment on the leader’s condition or status for returning to the Senate floor, but said McConnell is “grateful” to medical professionals and his colleagues for their “warm wishes,” according to the Associated Press.

McConnell spokesperson Doug Andres did not immediately return The Hatchet’s request for comment. A spokesperson at GW Hospital declined to comment.

Sen. John Fetterman, D-PA, was admitted to GW Hospital last month after experiencing lightheadedness following a stroke the year prior. He was discharged two days later after he tested negative for a stroke and did not show signs of a potential seizure.

GW Hospital officials also treated Sen. Chris Van Hollen, D-MD, after he experienced a “minor” stroke last May.