Lerner to reopen Monday after five months of HVAC system renovations

Officials said they closed the temporary workout room they installed in the University Student Center in June on Friday so officials can return the equipment to Lerner.

The Lerner Health and Wellness Center will reopen to students Monday after being closed for “extensive” heating, ventilation and cooling system renovations since May, officials announced in an email Friday.

The email states that officials updated the HVAC systems in the building’s facilities, including the gym, pool and basketball courts during the five-month closure. Officials said the gym will be limited to students for the time being, and that faculty and staff with paid memberships will have access to the gym “later” this academic year.

“We look forward to welcoming you back into the Lerner building and continuing to get to know you as together we continue to focus on your physical well-being needs,” the email states.

The email states officials encourage non-student community members to take advantage of the “physical well-being opportunities” offered by GW’s Human Resource Management & Development Office while access is limited to students. During the closure, officials offered alternative exercise spaces to students and the rest of the community in the University Student Center, District House and West Hall.

“Thank you to the thousands of students who joined us for a group fitness class, worked out in one of our other on-campus gyms, and came to St. Patrick’s for free/open play in September and October,” the email states.