Lerner to close until fall for HVAC work, equipment upgrades

All+in-person+activities+will+resume+beginning+Monday+as+GW%E2%80%99s+COVID-19+caseload+continues+to+decline%2C+including+the+reopening+of+the+Lerner+Health+and+Wellness+Center.+
Joseph Decilos | Staff Photographer
All in-person activities will resume beginning Monday as GW’s COVID-19 caseload continues to decline, including the reopening of the Lerner Health and Wellness Center.

The Lerner Health and Wellness Center will close Monday for repairs, with officials estimating the building will be closed through the middle of the fall.

Andre Julien, the director of the Lerner Health and Wellness Center, said in an email sent to the GW community Wednesday that officials will perform “extensive” HVAC updates, upgrade equipment and reconfigure the building’s layout to have more “flexible” spaces. He said all of Lerner’s facilities, including the pool, gym and basketball courts, will be closed to individual, club sport and intramural team usage.

“When it reopens in mid-fall, GW’s Health and Wellness Center will be better able to meet the overall health and well-being needs of our students,” Julien said in the email.

Baxter Goodly, the associate vice president of Facilities Planning, Construction, and Management, announced Lerner would close for “a portion” of 2022 last November, and said officials would conduct roof repairs and HVAC updates during the closure.

Julien said officials would also use the summer to explore potential student discounts with local gyms and determine ways to help intramural and club sports practice during their fall seasons. Julien did not say when the building would re-open in fall, but said officials will update students on their plans in August.