Lerner to close for portion of 2022 as officials make roof repairs, HVAC updates

Officials+had+said+in+February+that+they+would+soon+update+Lerner%E2%80%99s+HVAC+systems.+
Camille DeSanto | Assistant Photo Editor
Officials had said in February that they would soon update Lerner’s HVAC systems.

The Lerner Health and Wellness Center will shut down for part of 2022 for roof repairs and HVAC renovations, officials said in an email Friday.

Baxter Goodly, the associate vice president of facilities planning, construction and management, said officials are developing a timeline to replace the building’s roof to fix leaks, which will close the facility for “a portion” of 2022. Goodly said the roof repairs will likely coincide with a “modernization” of the building’s HVAC systems, and officials are currently soliciting bids for the project from mechanical firms.

Officials said in February that Lerner already received updated HVAC system designs.

“At this time, we have not finalized the timeline to conduct this extensive project, but anticipate that Lerner H&W will be closed for a portion of 2022,” he said in an email. “Once we have selected the mechanical firm to conduct the modernization, we will be able to provide the specific timeline of when Lerner H&W will be closed.”

Officials declined to say how many FixIt requests have been filed at Lerner.

Goodly said Lerner lost power to its swimming pool’s heater, which needs a new exhaust venting system, for four weeks. Members of club sports said the broken system has left them to swim in waters significantly colder than normal competitive standards.

Goodly said officials are working to find the needed parts to replace the exhaust system, which he said could take eight to 10 weeks.