Faculty Senate preview: Report to deliver update on MFA’s financial standing

Sophia Goedert | Staff Photographer
Bauman will develop a clinical cancer program through expanding the oncology service line and provide fundraising initiatives to more than 180 participating faculty across SMHS.

The Faculty Senate will hear a report on the financial standing of the Medical Faculty Associates during its meeting Friday.

Chief Financial Officer Bruno Fernandes will deliver the report with Joe Cordes and Susan Kulp, the co-chairs of the senate’s Fiscal Planning and Budgeting Committee, to present a new agreement on the MFA’s financial and administrative standing. The MFA – a group of physicians and faculty members from the School of Medicine and Health Sciences and physicians from GW Hospital – lost nearly $80 million during the fiscal year 2022 and currently owes the University more than $120 million.

The report will likely include information on restructuring the MFA after Barbara Bass, the CEO of the MFA and the dean of SMHS, proposed to house the MFA under SMHS to strengthen its relationship with GW Hospital to the senate in May and how GW’s sale of its stake in GW Hospital in May will have on the MFA.

Faculty senators raised concerns about the MFA’s more than $40 million deficit during the fiscal year 2021 and its consistently low earnings over the past few fiscal years at a senate meeting in May.

Vice Chair of the Presidential Search Committee Jim Tielsch and Chair of the Faculty Consultative Committee Kim Roddis will also present an update on the ongoing search for the next president of the University to the senate. Officials released the presidential profile Tuesday, which outlines the attributes and qualifications the presidential search committee is looking for in potential candidates.

Caroline Laguerre-Brown, the vice provost for diversity, equity and community engagement, will share an update on Title IX regulations. Officials are working to reform Title IX policy, following criticism from students on the Title IX office’s handling of sexual assault cases and the Department of Education’s announced plans to reinstate Title IX regulations that the Trump administration removed.

Faculty senators will review nominations to seven of the senate’s committees, including the nomination of Student Association President Christian Zidouemba and other members of the SA.

Interim University President Mark Wrighton and Provost Chris Bracey will also share reports with the senate. Tielsch, who also serves as the chair of the senate’s executive committee, will also present a report from the executive committee.

The senate will also vote on a resolution of appreciation for Elizabeth Amundson, the secretary of the senate, during the meeting Friday.