Ranking D.C. Metro stops that give easy access to vibrant neighborhoods

The+Dupont+Circl+Metro+Station.+
Lily Speredelozzi I Photographer
The Dupont Circl Metro Station.

In between orientation events, take advantage of GW’s first full year of the U-Pass program, which gives all students free access to the Metro and the many neighborhoods that lay beyond the quarters of campus.

While it can be tempting to stay in the Foggy Bottom bubble during your first semester on campus, GW’s location provides an enticing opportunity for students to explore other neighborhoods in the District. The Metro offers sprawling access to a wide variety of the DMV’s attractions, easily accessible using the Orange, Blue and Silver Lines at the Foggy Bottom station.

We ranked the best Metro stops so you can get the most out of D.C.’s many neighborhoods:

1. Dupont Circle
While Dupont Circle is just a 20-minute walk from campus, hop on the Metro at Foggy Bottom and switch to the Red Line at the Metro Center stop before getting off at Dupont. The small, historic neighborhood is sure to foster a sense of community, especially useful when you’re feeling homesick during those first few weeks of freshman year.

Dupont Circle offers some appealing happy hour deals at restaurants like Mission and The Admiral, both located right by either end of the Metro stop. The restaurants offer shareable pitchers and small plates on their menus, making them ideal spots while getting to know a group of roommates or floormates.

Although D.C. offers a plenitude of famous Smithsonian museums, the O Street Museum is a must-see while in Dupont Circle. The historic museum, referred to by Rosa Parks as her home away from home, showcases everything from written manuscripts, secret doors, rare photos, modern art, etchings and photography.

2. L’Enfant Plaza
For a night of live music and a multitude of dining and nightlife options at the District’s Southwest waterfront, take the Orange, Blue or Silver Line from Foggy Bottom to the L’Enfant Plaza station, just an 8-minute walk from The Wharf and all of the destination’s attractions.

While visiting The Wharf, check out one of the many upcoming concerts at The Anthem, like Lorde on Aug. 29. For a more intimate concert experience, head next door to Union Stage, a music venue for smaller, indie artists that doubles as a bar. Union Stage also offers themed DJ nights where guests can buy tickets early to listen and dance exclusively to the discography of their favorite artists, like the Harry Styles Night coming up on Aug. 27.

Soak in the beautiful views at The Wharf while sitting outside at Mi Vida, a Mexican restaurant owned by acclaimed chef Roberto Santibañez. For dessert, hit up Southwest Soda Pop Shop, a local family business that is a must-try for ice cream aficionados.

3. NoMa-Gallaudet U
One of Northeast D.C.’s most hip neighborhoods, NoMa – which stands for North of Massachusetts Avenue – is a foodie’s paradise. Easily accessible by the NoMa-Gallaudet Metro station on the Red Line, NoMa is the ideal area to explore for D.C. newcomers looking to try out various cuisine options.

Union Market is undoubtedly a mandatory first stop for NoMa visitors, offering a wide variety of cuisines including the iconic French tearoom Ladurée, innovative sushi restaurant O-Ku and authentic Vietnamese pho shop Banana Blossom Bistro. In addition to great food, make sure to catch a newly released film, like thriller “Bodies Bodies Bodies” at the Angelika movie theater “pop-up” among the most well-known and celebrated American arthouses.

4. Woodley Park
If you’re looking for a quieter, more residential area of Northwest D.C., visit the Woodley Park Metro stop on the Red Line. The scenic neighborhood offers hidden gems like classic American restaurant and coffeehouse Open City, where patrons can enjoy all-day brunch and specialty coffee after a late night out.

Juxtaposed with quiet Woodley Park is the lively Adams Morgan neighborhood, just a five-minute walk from the Metro station. Not only does Adams Morgan feature the quintessential Smithsonian National Zoo, but it also offers a variety of popular nightlife spots as well as the infamous Jumbo Slice Pizza Mart, making this Metro stop a must-see area for new residents of the District.

5. Gallery Place
To experience D.C.’s Chinatown, head to the Gallery Place Metro stop on the Red, Yellow and Green lines. In addition to authentic Chinese cuisine, the Metro stop is also next to CityCenterDC, the upscale outdoor area featuring fine dining and luxury retail. If you’re looking to splurge a bit, Fig & Olive is a must-try for some of the most high-quality French and Mediterranean food in the District. Although the restaurant is on the pricey side, the bar offers happy hour deals from 4 to 6 p.m.

Gallery Place is also just a block away from Capital One Arena, where visitors can attend sporting events as well as concerts from huge artists like Florence + the Machine on Sept. 12 and Lizzo on Sept. 27. After seeing a concert, head to Jaleo, one of the many iconic restaurants by world-renowned Spanish chef José Andrés.