GW announces U-Pass pickup dates, locations as program begins first full year

When+they+arrive+on+campus+in+the+fall%2C+students+will+have+to+pick+up+a+new+U-Pass+card+that+will+function+until+the+end+of+the+2022-23+school+year.+
Danielle Towers | Assistant Photo Editor
When they arrive on campus in the fall, students will have to pick up a new U-Pass card that will function until the end of the 2022-23 school year.

Students can pick up their U-Pass cards as early as August 18 as the program begins its first full academic year, according to a University announcement.

The cards will activate August 20, and students will have access to free trips on Metrobus and Metrorail through December 23. The U-Pass program, announced last November after years of student advocacy, completed its first full semester in May, with students taking more than 700,000 cumulative Metro trips using the cards.

“Utilizing U•Pass® helps save you money when you ride Metrorail or Metrobus, can save you time with your commute by not having to drive, and helps take more cars off the road as we focus on sustainability and better air quality,” GW’s website states.

Upperclassmen students will be able to pick up their cards on their move-in date at nearly all upperclassmen residence halls. Pick-up locations include District House, JBKO, Munson, Fulbright, Amsterdam, South, FSK and Shenkman halls, the Dakota and 1959 E Street. Freshmen will be able to pick up their cards at their residence hall on their move in day.

General distribution for U-Pass cards will be located at the University Student Center on Aug. 26, 29, 30 and 31 for students either living off-campus or students who did not pick up their cards when they moved in. An exclusive time slot for graduate students to pick up their U-Pass cards will be held in the University Student Center on Aug. 24.