Top financial, operations administrator to depart GW this summer

Sydney Walsh | Photographer
Jared Abramson, the University’s first vice president for financial planning and operations, set two main priorities for his tenure in office, intentionality and accuracy in financial projections.

One of the University’s top financial officers will depart this summer.

Jared Abramson, the first vice president of financial planning and operations, will move to Georgia State University on Aug. 1 to serve as the executive vice president and chief operating officer, according to a release. Abramson will join Brian Blake, the former provost and president of Georgia State University, following three years at GW.

“He was responsible for creating and maintaining GW’s long-range strategic financial plan as well as the annual operating and capital budgets,” Blake said in a release. “He was also responsible for university-wide business intelligence and financial management functions.”

University spokesperson Tim Pierce declined to comment on Abramson’s departure.

Abramson came to GW from the University of Miami, which was the previous employer of former University President Thomas Leblanc and Chief Financial Officer Mark Diaz. At the University of Miami, he served as the vice chairman for administration and finance for their psychiatry and behavioral sciences department for almost a decade.

Abramson focused on aligning GW’s financial resources with its strategic plan while at GW. He said that alongside his efforts to build relationships with faculty and administrators he took a data-driven approach while he tried to optimize GW’s spending.

“It’s being able to have a precise forecast and models of when we are investing, and then being able to deliver on them – having an anticipated and improved level of spending for each initiative and then living within our means while we’re still trying to accomplish our goals,” he said in a 2020 interview.