Officials name inaugural vice president for financial planning and operations

Officials named an inaugural vice president for financial planning and operations in a University release Monday.

Jared Abramson, the vice chairman for administration and finance at the University of Miami’s psychiatry and behavioral sciences department for almost a decade, will serve as GW’s first head of strategic financial planning, budgeting, financial forecasting and analysis, the release states. In his new position, Abramson will create a “more integrated and data-driven” approach to university-wide financial planning, according to the release.

“This is a great opportunity to enhance the role that planning plays in the university’s long-term financial health, building a stronger GW,” Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer Mark Diaz, who will oversee Abramson’s role, said in the release. “Jared has the demonstrated acumen and ability to create strategy and deliver superior performance. He has led many initiatives to fundamentally change and improve business processes and operating models.”

Abramson graduated with a bachelor’s degree in psychology from the State University of New York at Albany and a master’s degree in industrial organizational psychology from George Mason University. He comes to GW after a more than 15-year career in higher education and health care financial administration.

Abramson previously served as the director of strategic planning for the vice provost for research at the University of Miami, the former employer of University President Thomas LeBlanc and Diaz.

“I could not be more thrilled to be reuniting with Tom LeBlanc and Mark Diaz and to have the opportunity to contribute to and help shape the future of such a wonderful and prestigious institution,” Abramson said in the release.