Officials to reopen residence halls, require quarantine period for returning students

Phebe Grosser | Staff Photographer
Students said they signed up for on-campus events through the New Student Orientation program like campus tours, trips around D.C. and a visit to the National Portrait Gallery to acclimate to campus and build community.

Residence halls will reopen to students Jan. 8 with a quarantine period for students who traveled during break as the University shifts to remote learning for the first week of spring semester classes.

Officials said in an email Thursday they “encourage” students to complete an at-home COVID-19 test or a PCR or antigen test from a doctor or pharmacy 48 hours prior to returning to campus. Officials said they will require all residential students who left campus during winter break to quarantine and get tested once they return.

“In accordance with the University’s gradual return to campus for the spring, we will be incorporating additional health and safety protocols into your spring return to the residence halls process,” the email reads

Officials said they will provide more information on how long returning students will have to quarantine by next week.

All students living on campus must also complete the Spring Self Check-In Survey on their Campus Living eServices Portal by Dec. 31 to determine their arrival date before moving back into residence halls, according to the email.

“​​The information you provide in your Check-in Survey will help us anticipate busier times for when students will be arriving so that we can have ample support staff,” officials said. “If you are unsure of your arrival time for the day you are moving-in, please fill out the survey with your best estimated time of arrival.”

Officials said on-campus dining vendors in District House and Shenkman Hall will be open only to students, faculty and staff.

They also said all roommates and suitemates must take their COVID-19 tests from the GW Testing Center on the same schedule during the spring semester.

While officials are not requiring students to get tested before returning to campus, students who do test positive before arriving on campus should report their external positive test results, avoid traveling to campus until after their isolation period has ended and adjust their arrival date on their Spring Self Check-In Survey, according to the email. Students should also email [email protected] with the subject line “Delayed Move-In,” with their full name, cell phone number, GWorld ID, residence hall and room number.

Officials said they will still provide housing to students who received approval to stay on campus during winter break or arrive on campus early from Jan. 3 to Jan. 7. Students who remain in residence halls throughout winter break should begin their testing cadence on Jan. 3, according to the email.

Officials said students must upload booster shot documentation before Jan. 10 or they will risk losing GWorld card access to campus.

Area coordinators and house managers will be in contact with fraternity and sorority members who are scheduled to change their rooms in their townhouses, according to the email.

Officials said each student can bring only two guests during move-in to reduce the number of people in residence halls. Guests may stay for up to two hours if they comply with all University regulations including the indoor mask mandate, according to the email.

Following move-in, students are not allowed to have any non-residential guests or guests from outside their specific residence halls in their rooms, according to the email. Officials said every student can have one other guest from the same residence hall in their room.

“As we did in the fall semester, we hope to adjust this guest policy in consultation with our university health experts who will monitor transmission trends,” the email reads.