Officials announce courses for Asian American studies minor

Following nearly three years of advocacy from students, officials have announced the courses that will comprise the recently approved Asian American studies minor, which students can declare this fall.

Students hoping to earn the minor must obtain 18 credits out of 29 courses offered through the history, American studies, English, psychology and sociology departments, including topics like Asian American literature and modern American immigration, according to the University Bulletin. Students will be required to take an Introduction to Asian American Studies class, one introductory course in history that covers race or immigration, one 3000-level course in Asian American or postcolonial studies and nine elective credits.

The anthropology and East Asian languages and literatures departments and the women’s, gender and sexuality studies and theatre programs will each offer one course for the minor.

To satisfy the elective requirements, students can either select three of the 20 available courses for the minor or substitute one elective course with an internship, according to the website. Elective classes listed on the website include history courses focusing on China, Japan, Korea, South Asia and Southeast Asia, The Sixties in America and Japanese Culture Through Film, among others.

Students have spent nearly three years pushing for the minor’s implementation with advocacy from the Asian American Student Association dating back to 2018 and the Student Association voting to echo the calls this past October. More than 2,500 people signed a petition last year calling for the minor to be implemented within the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences, which was officially proposed to CCAS by professors Patty Chu and Dana Tai Soon Burgess, according to the SA legislation.

CCAS officials began a “vetting process” in the fall, and administrators approved the minor this March.